the last time we tried to go to hamilton pool we arrived promptly when they opened only to be turned down because of too many people [but it ended up being a great day at reimers so, whatever]. luckily, HP now takes reservations [at first i thought was annoying because it takes away all spontaneity], however it's actually pretty genius. you can make them in advance *here* and choose one of two time slots: 9am – 1pm or 1pm – 5pm. the pool is not over crowded this way, and it's more than enough time to enjoy the water. we chose the morning slot to avoid the heat, however i think the afternoon shift likely gives you better lighting for photos if you're into that.
it was the perfect girls day with my mom and sister to celebrate lindsay's birthday and enjoy the warm summer weather austin is having right now. some tips if you're planning to make the visit:
- bring cash for parking, they don't take cards
- wear chacos or tevas, there is a mini hike down to the pools and you'll want to wear sturdy waterproof shoes
- pack blankets or chairs, the "beach" is pretty rocky
- bring a small cooler full of snacks and cold beverages [but no glass!] * you will have to hike up hill back to the car so don't bring anything you won't want to carry back
- a floatie or two might be nice
- leave your pets at home [they are not allowed at the pools and it's much too hot to leave them in the car]
^^ our morning ended with lunch at hula hut on lake austin, and i kind of forgot how much i love this spot!