WHERE TO ESCAPE IN POKHARA, NEPAL:
before heading off on our trek in the annapurna region [more on that later], we had the opportunity to rest and relax in classic luxury at tiger mountain. this spot is really more of a retreat than a hotel, as the beautifully designed lodge is immersed in a local village, high up on the mountain. you're only 30 minutes outside of pokhara, but the sounds of birds and panoramic beauty make this place seem like any city is far far away.
as pioneers of responsible conservation tourism in nepal, tiger mountain lodge has an authentic and timeless feel in every experience you have. walls of hand-cut stone and local wood adorn the main building and all of the private villas, complimented by the manicured but raw wilderness of the property. the intimate rooms are designed in small groups of cottages resembling a traditional nepali village, each complete with their own little outdoor area. their ecological approach to building while respecting the land and wildlife is remarkable to see, and sets the stage for enjoying the iconic views of the himalayan peaks.
WHAT WE LOVED:
- SUNRISE waking up to a gentle knock at the door and a big pot of masala chai tea. if it's a clear morning, sunrise over the mountains is like nothing i've ever seen (our pics try to do it justice).
- ATTENTION TO ECO-TOURISM the hotel's support of the local village is truly remarkable. one of our favorite experiences was hiking through to a valley lookout and getting a chance to interact with many of the kind and friendly natives.
- THE ROARING LOG FIRE + board games in the communal area every morning and evening.
- WILDLIFE this place is a true bird & wild animal sanctuary, and we were always on the lookout.
- THE FOOD with a chef that has been on staff for almost 20 years, this guy knows what he's doing. every meal was full of flavor and the multi-course meals are delicious and filling after a day in the mountains.
- THE STAFF are some of the nicest people and are always there to help you plan you plan an adventure or make it very easy for you to soak in the natural beauty and relax.
HEADING TO NEPAL? HERE ARE THE DETAILS:
- WHERE: on a mountain top just outside pokhara [30 minutes by car]
- HOW TO GET THERE: ~6 hour bus ride or 1.5 hour flight from kathmandu, they will pick you up in their vintage defender from the airport or bus station
- PRICE PER NIGHT: varies depending on season, but includes all meals & drinks (excluding alcohol)
- ACTIVITIES AVAILABLE: hiking, bird watching, local village tour, swimming, cooking class, lake excursions and more
it says a lot about a place when you have retained the majority of your staff since you opened your doors [20+ years!] . this place has soul and knows how to take care of their guests, while also respecting the natural environment and beauty. this is absolutely the reason to come visit.
* this stay was part of a collaboration, all opinions are my own.
Y O U M I G H T A L S O L I K E: