Last week we drove down south to visit family in Long Beach and friends in LA. The flight is so easy, but something about driving sounded less stressful and more fun. I highly recommend this drive to anyone – and you can make it as long or as short as you want [the full drive is about 6-7 hours if you do it in one day]. We did it in two days, but stretching out over 4 or 5 would be perfect if you have the time.
Here's our idea of the perfect road trip:
San Francisco >> Pescadero [1 hour]
- Sleep @ Pigeon Point Lighthouse, Costanoa or Wildtender Ranch
- Stop for bloody mary's and the "half and half" soup at Duarte's Tavern [this is a must]
- Grab coffee at Downtown Local
- Check out Norm's Market for their famous Artichoke bread
- Need dessert? Pie Ranch is a must see!
Pescadero >> Big Sur [2 hours, 45 minutes]
- If you have time, pop into Santa Cruz to wander around, some great tips can be found here
- A few fun stops in Carmel might be: La Bicyclette, Casanova and Mission Ranch
Eat & Drink:
- Big Sur Bakery is an absolute must for any and all meals. We've been for breakfast, lunch and dinner and all are simply perfect.
- Glen Oak's Roadhouse: drinks and bites
- Nepenthe: perched cliffside this spot offers delicious food and insanely breathtaking views
- Camping: Andrew Molera, Fernwood, Ventana [pictured below], Naciemento Raod, Kirk Creek
- Glamping: Big Sur Getaway airstreams or Treebones yurts [must plan far in advance]
- Hotels: Deetjen's, Post Ranch Inn, Ventana, Glen Oaks
Big Sur >> Cayucos & SLO [2 hours, 45 minutes]
Cayucos >> Santa Barbara [2 hours]
- Wine in Los Olivos: we stopped at demetria estate and it was absolutely gorgeous with delicious wine
- The Farmstead: for exploring, cold brew and fresh fruits & veggies
- Happy Hour on the patio at The Outpost and dinner at Arigato
- Cocktails at The Good Lion
- A good night's rest at The Goodland or El Capitan [our plan was to camp but it was actually extremely windy and we decided to pass on that!]
Santa Barbara >> LA [final leg! 2 hours]
Whew! So much goodness packed into such a quick few days. I will be sharing photos/stories from our time in LA in my next post. Happy Thursday!