this hike is by far one of my favorite in the bay area for so many reasons: it's long enough to feel like a really great workout, the views are so rewarding, the ELK munching on grass right alongside you, and the gorgeous spring flowers we were lucky enough to see in full bloom. the point reyes seashore is such a special place and every time we spend a weekend up here i leave feeling so happy.
here's how to hike the pierce point ranch trail:
- be prepared: the drive is about an hour and 30 minutes from sf – we stopped at dynamo donuts in the marina right before hopping on the golden gate bridge.
- the hike is a moderate level @ around 10 miles, and takes about 4.5 hours round trip
- show up early [by or before 10am] to beat the crowds
- pack a lunch! we made veggie wraps, but you can also grab cowgirl creamery [they don't open until 10]
- wear a hat and reapply your sunscreen! we were covered in SP5 50 and somehow still got burnt
- if you have time, stop for oysters on your way home [even though it's not exactly "on the way"]
- to avoid GGbridge traffic you can also stop in mill valley on your way home for beers at our favorite, MVBW and dinner at sol food