i've always wanted to be more of a podcast & book person. constantly finding excuses or "not having enough time" these would often just live in my phone or my bedside getting dusty. a goal for both kyle and myself on this trip was to read and listen more. with all of the long drives, bus rides ... etc ... these have been some of our favorite books and podcasts so far. and now i realize how easy it is to sneak in a podcast during a long walk, or read a chapter during a bus ride or before bed. i need to remember these things when we're back in the city!
click each image below for more info, and if you have an iphone, subscribe to these podcasts [for free!] and new episodes will download to your phone every time you have wifi.
P O D C A S T S
- NPR'S HOW I BUILT THIS a podcast about innovators, entrepreneurs, and idealists, and the stories behind the movements they built. even the companies you wouldn't think interest you end up having really inspiring and interesting stories
- CRIMETOWN every season the two awesome narrators investigate the culture of crime in a different american city. first up: providence, rhode island, where organized crime and corruption infected every aspect of public life. true crime stories are addicting to me!
- TED RADIO HOUR based on TED speakers and previous talks, the TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, new ways to think and create.
B O O K S
- HOW TO FAIL AT ALMOST EVERYTHING AND STILL WIN BIG dilbert creator scott adams' funny memoir about his many failures and what they eventually taught him about success
- THE ORPHAN MASTER'S SON intertwined themes of propaganda, identity and state power in north korea. the novel was awarded the 2013 pulitzer prize for fiction and sucks you in immediately.
- CLOSER TO THE GROUND an engaging memoir that follows dylan tomine and his family through four seasons as they hunt chanterelles, fish for salmon, dig clams and gather at the kitchen table, mouths watering, to enjoy the fruits of their labor. an easy, light hearted read.
Y O U M I G H T A L S O L I K E: